Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Life and Love....

This is one of those times when life comes at you so strong you can't breathe. One of those times when sadness and grief threaten to drown you. One of those time when life is just honestly unfair.

Nick and I lost an amazing friend, and greatly loved woman this week. Jess passed away Monday morning after a two year battle with cancer. And I'm just not sure what else to say right now. Jess' husband and Nick have been best friends since 5th grade, and Nick has been with Steve as he and Jess have fought through this battle. I'm immensely overwhelmed right now with sadness, both for the loss from my personal life, and for Steve's loss.

Over the next few days we will honor her life and her legacy with a memorial and funeral. I don't know how you can limit talking about this selfless woman into a service time. Jess laughed a lot, love even more, and deeply impacted those that came into contact with her. She bore the pain of this sickness with kindness and cared deeply about others. I have a vivid memory of visiting her in the hospital about a year ago after one of her surgeries, and I had just thrown out my back a day or two before. I was moving stiffly still and instead of letting me fuss over her, she tells me to sit down and needed to know what was wrong with me. That was just Jess. She was beautiful, and loved by so many.

I have my own stories about Jess, but nothing that will compare to what will be honored about her over the next few days. Life just doesn't make sense to me sometimes, and this is just one of those times.

Here's to you, Jess. To your legacy of love, and your example of life. To the amazing wife and steadfast friend. To the sister and daughter that was well well adored. We will all miss you so much.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: