Tuesday, June 2, 2009

One Year

This time one year ago, I was ending my first whole day of being married. I was probably cleaning up the first married dinner I had made, and was getting ready to settle on the couch with my brand new husband. Possibly still unpacking, and re-arranging, and getting familiar with my new home. The last week has been full of memories for me, because yes, I'm just that sappy!! I remember how it felt to go through my last week of "single", packing my room, moving my things, finalizing schedules for the big day that was coming in 6...5..4.. days. I remember crying packing up my room, looking with fondness at the paint spots on the floor in my closet (sorry momma!) - my makeshift artists closet for years in my teens. I remember feeling almost sad packing away frame after frame of photos of friends. Trying to find enough containers for my shoes was a challenge. I remember laying in bed, purposefully sprawling out, thinking to myself that I'm going to have to get used to sleeping on only one side of the bed. And then the Thursday before the wedding came, and my flowers arrived (bridesnblooms.com is an AMAZING company), and thinking "holy cow, this is it!!!!". I remember the makeshift rehearsal that we had, the Tuesday before the wedding, and hearing my dad quietly insist that I was referred to as "Bethany" during the ceremony - a name that is reserved now for family and my closest friends growing up. I remember the day before, talking to Nick as he drove to work and fighting tears because they wouldn't give him the day off, and then screaming with excitement when he called me 30 minutes later to tell me that he got the day off and was coming over. The rehearsal dinner at Connies, and the best pizza eevveerrrrrrr. Crying for two hours in my dad's arms that night, overcome with so many emotions.

And then the day arrived. Sunday morning dawned bright, beautiful and WARM. The first warm and non-rainy day we'd had in weeks!! Driving to the hotel with my baby sister to get ready, the mock rehearsal at 8:30 a.m. with the wedding party, Nick on the phone with the lost groomsmen, my AMAZING and indispensable friend Susan bustling about to handle the last minute details for me. I remember laughing. A lot. And smiling so much my face hurt. Getting ready with my girls, my sister doing my hair. Two of my most favorite women giggling with me, photographing my day. The last minute jewelry decision, the "don't forget perfume", "have you eaten today?", "drink water!", "who has the rings?" questions and demands. My heart was racing all morning knowing that 11:00 was coming so fast. And then! It was time. My mom pulled everyone together to pray, and then it was time to walk downstairs and meet my love. I remember not looking at my dad while we waited to walk the aisle because I knew he would be my tipping point and I would start bawling. I remember the way he laced his fingers with mine and proudly walked me down the aisle and gave me to Nick. And then all I remember is Nicks eyes. The way he held mine through the entire ceremony. His voice as he vowed to love me forever. And then the magic words "man and wife"!!!!!

MAN it was a great day.

And it's already been a year. I can't believe how much has happened in the space of a year. How much we've had to adjust to each other, learn from each other, and depend on each other.

Nick, you are without a doubt, the man of my heart. I love you more today than I did a year ago. My respect for you has grown, and I love finding ways to honor you. You are an amazing man, and I am so proud, and blessed, to call you my husband.

And now.....A little journey through our time together!

First photo together in December '05:

Photobucket

Engagement photo - May '09 (thanks to the beautifulAbigail Smith Photography!!)

Photobucket

Wedding June 1, 2009!!! (MANY thanks to my fabulous girlfriends, Sarah Barlow and Morgan Matters, and my fashion maven friend Steve Chellappa)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Seriously...I married this hottie!

Photobucket

Randomly in August '08

Photobucket

Honeymoon in December '08

Photobucket

Photobucket

First Christmas '08

Photobucket

Photobucket

End of January '09
(photos with thanks to Morgan Matters Photography!)

Photobucket

Photobucket

First married Cubs game (May '09)

Photobucket

And on to year two!!!

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I LOVE this post! It made me cry! Its was soooo cute.... All of the pictures were fun to see! Happy 1 Year Anniversary!! :)

momo said...

yay! finally a post!!
It was very sweet...love you tons.

Laura_Ashley said...

I love love love this! Isn't it phenomenal and amazing?? The Lord chooses to bless us with someone who can love us (and put up with us!) better than anyone else. It's so amazing how quickly the time goes! I love you and pray for continued blessings on your marriage.

Thanks for being an awesome friend and enjoying the "ride" right along with me!

Morgan Matters said...

So glad I can (sorta) be part of your family!!! Miss you!!!!! :)

Joy said...

Man I'm behind, I missed this! My dear Bethany Lang who somehow morphed into Beth Decaluwe, provided I'm not still spelling your last name incorrectly. This was beautiful.

abigail smith said...

Awe, thanks for using my photo. ;) You and Nick make a HOTT couple. Congratulations!