Sunday, December 27, 2009

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Christmas morning, I sat on my parents couch watching old family video's and we ran across one from Christmas 1997. I was 13 (and as obnoxious and loud as they come at 13), my baby sister was 9, Gwen was 14, and Abby was 16. The video started with all of us girls coming filing down the stairs (an orderly Christmas tradition in my house) and we took turns opening presents, each taking our turn begging daddy to please phulleeeeezeeee open our present to him. There were cups of tea for my dad, various animals drifting in an out of the frame, and my mom...always attentive to the daughter saying "momma look!". That video could have been from any Christmas, repeating itself in years prior and years to come. And then, as we all got older, boys started showing up in the video's, and Christmas day changed more and more. Christmas has always been my favorite holiday of the year. The energy of the season, the songs with bells in it, the carefully hidden presents stowed away in deep closet corners. It just makes me smile. I've always struggled through the years and Christmas has changed and altered in my family...but there is always the one day. One day that we all congregate at mom and dad's and celebrate Christmas. There is too much food, and dad ends up rubbing his head at the end of the night after listening to his 5 women talk and talk and talk all day long. This year, that day is today...and I'm SO looking forward to sitting with my sisters, playing with my nephew, and just reveling in the family that we have evolved into. Christmas may look different this year, but my excitement for it hasn't changed. This years video will be unique in it's own way, and it's going to be a great day.

Merry Christmas from my house to yours!

Photobucket

No comments: