Monday, February 28, 2011

Baby Schneider

This post is very special to me, and I should forewarn you that it's got my blubbering all over it. I have 3 sisters, two older and one younger, and Abby is the oldest of us all. Abby has always been the quintessential oldest - she's calm, collected, self-sufficient, and (annoyingly) always right. She's been the one that regardless of what less-than-intelligent thing I was doing at that precise moment, would tell me that she loves me and supports me. She's the one that paved the way to teach the rest of us sisters what it meant to be responsible and grown up at a young age. She's the one that we follow, and model after. She's the one that is always practical, and always has the best advice. She's the one that we can call in a crisis, and she drops everything to come to us. Abby has been a practicing mother to three sisters for many many years. And now? Now she has a tiny little baby on the way. Now she has a little heart that she gets to mold and love and grow. And I know with absolutely no doubt that she will be amazing at it.

Chris, Abby and I met last weekend at Navy Pier to take some photos. We had grand plans to use the conservatory at the Pier, and fake ourselves into believe it was warm and tropical. But...those plans needed to be quickly re-made when we discovered a convention being held there that weekend. It was torrentially down-pouring, dark, and very dreary outside - leaving us feeling less than enthused about the day in general. But we trooped over to the Chicago Cultural Center, and I was faced with a dreaded challenge: heavy spot lighting, white walls, heavy shadows, and limited natural light (both from a lack of windows, and extreme lack of anything remotely looking like a sun). I was convinced we should just find a different day, but we were all there together with no other plans for the day - so I took a deep breath, threw up my ISO, and.... here it is!

Photobucket

We found hallways and corners, dodged people on stairways, and shot around viewers in galleries.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I will freely admit that I love the sun. I love shooting with the sun, I love the light of the sun, I love the glow of the sun. I love that the sun makes for really happy photos. So for me, shooting indoors like this....it was a huge mental battle. The dark made it feel...unhappy. So, I knew I had to approach it differently. It was going to be grainy. It was going to be moody. It was going to be rough. I had to stretch, and yes...it was massively uncomfortable. It took me a few days to bring up the courage to even look at the photos. I was THAT uncomfortable with it all. But then, as I was flipping through them - I saw this...

Photobucket

And I saw this...

Photobucket

And I saw this...

Photobucket

And suddenly - it was all okay. I saw the light. I saw the grain. And I saw that it was beautiful and intimate and emotional. And it made me happy.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Abby and Chris decided not to find out the gender of the baby ahead of time (much to the annoyance of aunt's that just want to buy presents!!)
Photobucket

Just a little auntie's leaning.....
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

I love you both. And I can't wait to meet baby Schneider. And I can't wait to see you both in this new role in your lives. And I can't wait to meet this long await, long dreamt of, little baby (girl?? ;)).

4 comments:

X said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Stretched and challenged - what a geat job!

Gwen said...

there's a baby in the bump! Abby, you're beautiful. (Chris, you aren't that bad yourself) :) I love you two so much, and I can't wait to meet precious Baby Schneider. You guys are going to make great parents

ginnielange images said...

what mother to be doesn't produce their own glow?! Abby is beautiful and i am personally going with the pink! great job beth!